Groups travelling to Washington, DC, for protests, conferences, service work, or other events are welcome to sleep at St. Stephen's Church.
St. Stephen's offers sleeping space on our wood and concrete floors. Thanks to Thrive DC, which operates a social service program in our building, small groups can use Thrive's shower room and can arrange for prepared meals, both for additional fees.
Please read this page carefully. If you find that we offer what you are looking for, at the bottom of this page you can submit a request to sleep.
Showers and Food
• All sleeping is on hard floors. Sleepers should bring mats or pads.
• We usually provide space to sleepers from late evening until early morning. Some evenings sleepers cannot enter until as late as 10pm, and some mornings sleepers must leave as early as 7am, depending on the building use schedule. If available, the dining room, auditorium, and church can be reserved for day or evening use for an extra fee.
• Groups that wish to sleep at St. Stephen’s need to designate one of their members to be their coordinator for sleeping at St. Stephen’s. We must be able to meet with this person in advance during normal office hours (generally 8am-4pm Monday through Friday), and this person must be on site at all times group members are in the St. Stephen’s church building.
• We do not provide sleeping space for individuals; we only provide space to groups.
• We may request that groups pay a security deposit prior to sleeping at the church.• Groups that wish to use our space for sleeping must be committed to adhering strictly to non-violent protests.
• No cooking is allowed in the building.
• St. Stephen's cannot provide secure space for the storage of belongings.
• Although we have sufficient floor space for hundreds of people to sleep (the largest group to sleep here in recent years was 550 people attending a climate change conference in March 2009), the limiting factor is ten toilets in five bathrooms.
• St. Stephen’s makes arrangements directly with the organizers of a large event and not with many smaller groups attending the event; smaller groups must contact the event organizers.
• St. Stephen’s requests a donation of $5 per person per night.
Thrive DC allows small groups (less than 20-30 people) the use of its shower room between 7pm and Midnight. The room must be cleaned after the last shower. The shower room is used during the day by homeless people. The fee for showering is $1 per shower.
Thrive DC can prepare meals for small groups. Arrangements for meals must be made at least one week in advance. The fee for meals is $5 per meal.
Please check this calendar to see if another group has already booked space for the dates you are interested in. Please remember we only let one group at a time sleep in the building. (If you are attending an event for which sleeping space has already been booked by the event organizers, please be in touch with them, and not us, to make arrangements to sleep at St. Stephen's.)
To request sleeping space, please complete the following information.